[standards-jig] Jabber and XATP

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Thu Feb 21 21:44:52 UTC 2002

For quite some time now I've been working on some of the problems that
Jabber has faced at the transport layer, particularly those that the xml
stream handles for the current generation of Jabber. I've finally found
the time to package some of the simple solutions together into a
definition of an experimental new transport layer that I've termed XATP,
for eXtensible Application Transport Protocol.  The focus for XATP isn't
just on what Jabber needs, instead the techniques are very generic and
useful to just about any network application conversation.

I'm inviting anyone interested in the transport layer to learn more at
http://xatp.org/ and participate in it's development and evolution.  My
next steps with it are to build a few prototypes and explore the
characteristics of the current definition.

This doesn't immediately relate to Jabber, as I don't have any plans to
roll this into JNG or some future Jabber standard.  But what this does
encourage is thinking about future Jabber standards as separate from any
transport layer, where they may be defined just as a set of namespaces and
processing guidelines with bindings to one or more optional transports
(similar to SOAP).

I encourage any discussion here related to separating Jabber from the
transport or requirements of the transport layer for future Jabber needs,
but if there are XATP specific ideas or comments I'd ask that the
spec-dev at xatp.org list be used instead