[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] streamlining the JIGs

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 16:06:43 UTC 2002

On 2/26/02 1:44 AM, "Benoit Orihuela" <orihuela at free.fr> wrote:

>> We've got 3 votes (2 for looser, 1 for tighter).  My primary concern is the
>> fact that we've only got 3 votes on the issue.
>
> Are you sure a mailing list is a good place for voting ? I don't want to
> receive
> hundreds of mails with a wonderful body like '+1' or '-1' ...  (and I think
> that's why only the 3 people that wanted to add something voted and not
> others).

>From my experience it is the only reliable way to do it in an open source
community.  I've tried web voting and separate voting mailing lists and both
suffer from the problem that most people may know of them, but never use
them.  A vote in the main mailing list sort of shoves the vote into your
face so its hard to forget/ignore.  Even if you ignore or accidentally
delete the announcement, you'll see the votes and after a few days of seeing
them (and opinions on  why its +1 you're more likely to throw your own vote
in...  :)  Of course, I'm always open to new suggestions.

-iain