[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] streamlining the JIGs

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 17:25:39 UTC 2002

On 2/26/02 8:40 AM, "Thomas Muldowney" <temas at box5.net> wrote:

> I would rather see some other system put into place for voting.  The voting
> on lists is chaotic and requires more work (gathering the comments and what
> not).  Even time locking the vote on the list is an issue of manual labor,
> and I would say you're more likely to let late votes and things of that
> nature slip through the cracks.  A component or website seems much more
> suited to the job.  If people aren't voting on an issue I think it's a sign
> of a larger problem and that person should be removed from a voting
> position.  If you have the power to vote on an issue you need to use it
> wisely, responsibly, and when the vote is called for.

I think in general you are correct.  However my experience is that open
source communities have a very strong tendency for assuming someone else
will take care of things.  So if the carrot is voting to express your
opinion and the stick is the threat of revoking your voting privileges I
don't think we'll get much response.  I could be wrong though.  We can try
it if you're willing to build it.

> P.S. - I'm posting this ignoring all of the identity and authorization
> issues in a good voting system.

:) Details details details.  :)

-iain