[standards-jig] dbxml / xindice

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Tue Feb 26 23:58:11 UTC 2002

> Has anyone looked into http://www.dbxml.org/ vis-a-vis XDB?

Sort of. See this thread for more info:

http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/jabelin/dev/2001-November/000120.html

I decided that dbXML / Xinidice (or eXist, or whatever) are unsuitable
because they 1) are written in Java (no good for a C/C++ based server)
and 2) they are quite heavy (either heavy feature-rich interfaces, or
full-blown database servers, ala Postgres).

However, the XML:DB project (http://www.xmldb.org/) is designing
standard interface for native XML databases to use. Although its geared
at Java, it might be possible to build an implementation in C. This
would probably be outside of Jabber's scope.

The other thing to possibly try is a project I've been working on
sparodically since November. It's a native XML database, but it has a
very simple API (libxode-style), and a pluggable backend. It needs a few
hours work to get into a usable state (though it doesn't support some
key XML concepts yet, most notably namespaces and character sets), but
it might be a place to start.

If anyone is interested in this project, let me know. If there's enough
interest, I'll finish the couple of unimplemented functions I want to
add and do an alpha release.

Rob.

--
Robert Norris           <rob at cataclysm.cx>          GPG: 1024D/FC18E6C2