[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

Ashvil ashvil at i3connect.net
Thu Feb 28 07:40:16 UTC 2002

My two cents ...

To the best of my knowledge, Vista is the only client that currently does
feature negotiation (we use this to find out what addons are installed) and
we have been doing this with iq:browse for the last six months without any
issues.

I am not sure why we we need a new feature negotiation namespace. I would
love to know, why querying the existing namespaces was not considered.

We should be able to query the namespaces that the client returns to figure
out what features it supports like this

<iq type='get' to='jid2'>
    <query xmlns='namespace to be queried'>
    </query>
</iq>

To use the example in the JEP it would be ...

<iq type='get' to='jid2'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:crypto:keyexchange'>
    </query>
</iq>

<iq type='result' to='jid2'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:crypto:keyexchange'>
            <options>
                <option>diffie-hellman</option>
                <option>pgp</option>
            </options>
    </query>
</iq>

I think the above is more in line with the Jabber protocol as I understand
it.

Regards,
Ashvil