[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 17:49:05 UTC 2002

On 2/28/02 6:21 AM, "Peter G. Millard" <me at pgmillard.com> wrote:

> Feature negotiation is the next step after finding out that a client
> supports a specific namespace. Thus, it actually "extends" the browsing
> aspect to find out if an endpoint supports something. The negotiation would

I'm favoring Ashvil on this.  It seems cleaner to me to browse for
namespaces using iq:browse, then negotiate features within the desired
namespace rather than in a separate client negotiation namespace.  I suppose
it depends on if you consider capabilities a separate matter from the
service itself.

If we want to go with a separate capabilities management feature then it
makes sense to use iq:browse to locate a service in the capabilities
database, then JEP0020 to negotiate specifics.  However my impression is
that the current Jabber design really favors services as separate entities.
In this case, it would seem better to use iq:browse for service lookup, and
negotiate capabilities directly with the service you wish to work with...

-iain