[standards-jig] Discussion on JEP-0014: Message Tone

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Sat Jan 19 01:38:28 UTC 2002

First off I'd like to say I have this nagging feeling that this should
be a part of some more generic extension. What exactly that extension
would be, I don't know, but it doesn't feel right that this is just *there.*

I don't like having a nonstandardized list of tones. I don't want to
have to display the tone as text. I would like to be able to use subtle
color hints, icons, whatever. Maybe I could use the same emoticons my
client will use, but have them be there representing the entire message
instead of embedded. What if I don't speak English? Or what if I do
speak English and talk to someone who does? Way too many problems arise
if you treat this like just some text field. I think it has the
potential to be a bit more than that (see my first comment).

Any comments from anyone else?

Julian
email: julian at jabber.org
jabber:julian at jabber.org