[standards-jig] Discussion on JEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules

mlin at mlin.net mlin at mlin.net
Sat Jan 19 03:59:38 UTC 2002

One concern I have is the server-side overhead that might be caused by
having to compare the JID of all incoming packets against the user's
blacklist, which could be quite expensive relative to what the router
currently has to do. Still, a server-side block is something we need
badly, so I'm obviously not giving up on this - but I think we need to
empirically evaluate whether there will be a scalability impact and, if
so, how to minimize it. It may turn out that, like many other things we
have considered, the performance impact will be insignificant compared to
the XML framing and parsing the server already has to do.

On a broader note, we should consider that blocking, whether done on the
client side or the server side, is going to become really hard to enforce
as Jabber moves to a distributed network like sendmail. If I am blocked, I
might be able to run a local server and renew my DHCP address to get
around it. This, of course, leads to difficult questions of inter-server
trust and identity, which I think we are all hesitant to tackle at this
time.

-Mike