[standards-jig] Constraining standards? (was: Discussion on JEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules)

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Mon Jan 21 21:31:43 UTC 2002

The difference between emoticons and server-side blocking is that
server-side blocking requires a specific protocol, and I do feel we
should continue to define specific protocols - no one is required to
implement a specific protocol, but if they choose to follow the standard
it will work with all clients and servers which also choose to implement it.

Emoticons, on the other hand, are definitely very client-specific and I
would argue should probably not be standardized... except for the fact
that it would be nice to at least have a suggested list of mappings
between text and icons - because that's *almost* protocol.

I don't think anything implementation specific has become a Jabber
standard yet, and emoticons will most likely just be a suggested list.

I would prefer if we provided as many protocol standards as we can, as
long as they do not overlap and are good standards. No one has to
implement all of the extensions, but the standards are there for
interoperability's sake. I want Jabber clients and servers to continue
working across platforms, corporations, and implementations as much as
possible. The point of Jabber is interoperability, and we lose that if
everyone goes their own way.

Julian
email: julian at jabber.org
jabber:julian at jabber.org