[standards-jig] Constraining standards? (was: Discussion on JEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules)

Shawn Wilton shawn at black9.net
Mon Jan 21 22:41:02 UTC 2002

I just want to point out one more time, that the idea of message rendering
that I posted was not that you are forced to implement it, but rather that
every client author has something to work off of.  A standard list of
suggested maps and icons if you will.  A lot of clients implement different
parse maps and if they added the standard ones as well, then that could go a
long way in terms of useability.  People keep reading that and getting the
idea that you will have to format the text in some specific way and that's
just a crock of butter.  This is more of an optional guideline if you will.

As for the privacy, you have to have a standard so that it works across
clients and servers, hands down.