[standards-jig] Constraining standards? (was: Discussion on JEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Jan 22 18:42:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:33:43AM -0800, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> How Clients configure blocking should also be out of the spec.
I cannot agree with you.

>  It can be an
> IQ extension but it should also be just as possible to support blocking but
> provide all configuration using a web page, or other existing tools.  I
> don't see why it must be through a standard Jabber IQ protocol (or however
> it may be done).
If it is not described in the standard we will get some clients, which
allow blacklisting "only with XX server, version YY", and servers, which
have client-side-configured blacklist, but only if you use XX client.
This will break one of greate features of Jabber: whatever client you
use, you can do the same --- use the same buddy-list, the same gateways
etc.

Greets,
        Jacek