[standards-jig] JEP:0015 Account Transfer

Casey Crabb debug at nafai.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 25 17:08:14 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 11:39, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> Ah.  I see.  For some odd reason that part didn't register with me.  I was a
> bit fixated on the JEP.  This requirement of newaccount already existing,
> significantly reduces the scope of what the transfer protocol does.  It
> doesn't seem to be much of a threat.  :)
>
> However, the JEP does not specify the protocol that way.  It definitely has
> newaccount created on the server by the server hosting newaccount.  Thus the
> old server is creating accounts on other servers, then transferring the
> account.  I'll quote from the first line in the Protocol Example section:
>
> The server would then try to go and create that account. If successful in
> creating that account then it first transfers the roster of...
>
> The JEP specifies that the server is doing everything including creating the
> new account on the new server.   This creates the threat that I was worried
> about.  If the process is as you state (the client must create new account
> on the new server then have the old server transfer the account contents to
> the new server) I think you need to edit the JEP to match...
>
> Although without completely automating the process, the transfer protocol's
> scope is greatly reduced and starts to bring up the question of if its worth
> it to make standard protocol for it.  A client could do the same without any
> new protocol...
>
> -iain
I agree whole heartly: I need to update the summary/preview portion of
the jep. I forgot completely.

However; a custom client cannot do this as the servers are the ones
telling each other to modify the roster. The idea is that the end users
shouldn't really see any difference. They(the user and the client that
the user uses) would be notified (so that, for example, log files can be
redirected as needed), but the users shouldn't have to do anything.
Tertclient should still see fred as fred regardless if he's nolonger
fred at floobin.cx but now is fred at jabber.org.

As far as I know there is no way in the protocol existing now to do
this.

-Casey