[standards-jig] JEP:0015 Account Transfer

Casey Crabb debug at nafai.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 29 16:37:33 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 02:45, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> I'll try and comment when you've edited the JEP.  Please let me know when
> you have.  I agree that seamless account transfers is a very handy feature.
> I'm still concerned about the safety of doing it.
>
> It would be just as handy to do auto transfers of email accounts, web site
> accounts, etc but no similar standards have emerged (or even been suggested
> as far as I know).  I think there are hidden dangers and practical concerns
> still lingering...  It would be great if we could overcome or address them
> though!
>
> -iain

The JEP in CVS has been updated. I agree there are hidden dangers that
we aren't seeing yet. I think a discussion will be necessary to rat them
out. It might even be that we have to implement it and see where people
attack it before we really find out.  I think the reason we haven't seen
this in email is there are .forwards which work for the most part, at
least until the server goes away and there is no definitive way to
update an address book. In the web-world you can always just leave a
hyperlink; and its impossible to know who is linking to you. In the
jabber world we know who is subscribed to our presence.

-Casey