[standards-jig] Presence priority finetuning

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Mon Jul 1 19:41:49 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 04:12:59PM -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 15:58, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > the common idea appears to be that client asks the server to do what
> > the client wants, so if the client doesn't want to negotiate it
> > doesn't ask for it. i just feel it's cleaner this way, that the
> > client initiates it.
>
> Except that browse/disco work by having other people query you. I
> don't see a problem with that. You'd have to start adding even more
> stuff to say "hey, server, query me" in browse/disco, when it's not
> really necessary. The client queries for supported authorization
> protocols because the client is the one that needs the information. In
> this case, the server needs information... so it queries the client.
> That seems pretty normal to me.

First i agreed to this, but later on i came to think about mod_offline,
which mixes up the things quite a bit..

before the server sends the offline messages, it needs to know wether
the client will accept them, if you think about it this way, the client
has to negotiate the accepted messages before sending it's first
<presence/> to make sure that the server only sends the messages that
this client accepts certain types of messages.

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Notify immediately if you do not receive this message ]-