[standards-jig] Presence priority finetuning

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Mon Jul 1 20:07:02 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 15:57, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 03:45:20PM -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 15:41, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > > before the server sends the offline messages, it needs to know wether
> > > the client will accept them, if you think about it this way, the client
> > > has to negotiate the accepted messages before sending it's first
> > > <presence/> to make sure that the server only sends the messages that
> > > this client accepts certain types of messages.
> >
> > ... so?
> > There's nothing saying a server can't browse you right after you
> > connect, before you even send a presence packet. Or the server could
> > wait on sending the messages until after it attempts to browse you.
>
> this brings us to yet another problem.. how long should the server wait
> for a reply from the client, atleast a quick check with gabber revealed
> what i was expecting.. nothing is returned when a query is sent to the
> client which it does not understand.. (and to me, Gabber behaved as
> expected)
>
> how long should the server wait for a valid reply before dumping the
> data according to default rules?

Well, technically clients should be returning a Not Supported iq if they
don't support a particular namespace. We could always move to enforce
this. Or the browse could be before the <presence/> is sent, like I
said. So if a client sends presence, it is assumed it doesn't support
browse unless it says otherwise.

The true solution is to get browse/disco standardized (and pick one over
the other) and required...

Julian