[standards-jig] Presence priority finetuning

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Tue Jul 2 19:29:25 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:36:45AM -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 10:59, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> > i came to think of something like this (adapt this to some JEP if you
> > find one)
> >
> > Client connects and sends this to the server to check that it supports
> > message rules..
> >
> > <iq id='r1' to='server' type='get'>
> >   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:rules'/>
> > </iq>
> >
> > ofcourse, the server would reply with either an error or with the
> > current rulesets.
> >
> > <iq id='r1' to='user at server/resource' type='result'>
> >   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:rules'>
> >     <default/>
> >   </query>
> > </iq>
> >
> > next the client tells the server that it wants (all) headlines and chats
> > if there are no clients with a higher priority , but no normal messages
> > and the set queries with the FOOBAR namespace.
> >
> > <iq id='r2' to='server' type='set>
> >   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:rules'>
> >     <message type='headline' priority='inf'/>
> >     <message type='chat' priority='5'/>
> >     <message type='normal' prority='none'/>
> >     <iq>
> >       <query xmlns='FOOBAR' priority='5'/>
> >     </iq>
> >     <default priority='1'/>
> >   </query>
> > </iq>
> >
> > and the server would ofcourse reply to that..
> >
> > <iq id='r2' to='user at server/resource' type='result'/>
> > (is there a need to repeat the query?)
> >
> > after this is done the client will send the <presence/>, This way the
> > server does not have to know all data that is passed through the server
> > and the client would be left with full control how to delegate the
> > messages.
>
> This is exactly what I want to avoid, though. There are now *4* new
> messages which need to be sent for this simple "hey, I want this stuff"

the first message was to test if the server supports it, the client
could just dump the request to the server if it's not critical for the
client to know that the request has been noted.

if the client is just a normal client it would ofcourse just dump the
data, normal clients couldn't care less if the server accepted it or
not. and without that first test you get 2 packets, which would be the
case with any other implementation too.

The main thing is that if the client has to worry about not sending the
first <presence/> before the server has a clear view of the needs of
client, then the client should worry about sending the initial request
too.

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Notify immediately if you do not receive this message ]-