[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Wed Jul 17 17:19:29 UTC 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Jim Ray wrote:
> > -  What kind of MIME-type or file extension should be used?  (eg. to
> > allow automatic installation from within the browser, á la Winamp)
>
> I would guess since it has a several files in it you would use .zip or
> .tar.gz/bz2.    But I didn't see this in the doc.

I think that's the idea. For example, Winamp3 uses .wal as the extension
for its skins. These files are actually just zip files that contain an xml
definition of the skin, and the supporting graphics. The idea is that you
can click on a .wal file on a website, and have Winamp via a MIME-type and
file extension automatically install the skin, instead of having to
download and copy into the appropriate directory.

Makes it quite easy to install skins. I believe Mozilla/Netscape 6+ has a
similar feature.

bs.