[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Wed Jul 17 18:33:35 UTC 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Ben Schumacher wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Jim Ray wrote:
> > > -  What kind of MIME-type or file extension should be used?  (eg. to
> > > allow automatic installation from within the browser, á la Winamp)
> >
> > I would guess since it has a several files in it you would use .zip or
> > .tar.gz/bz2.    But I didn't see this in the doc.
>
> I think that's the idea. For example, Winamp3 uses .wal as the extension
> for its skins. These files are actually just zip files that contain an xml
> definition of the skin, and the supporting graphics. The idea is that you
> can click on a .wal file on a website, and have Winamp via a MIME-type and
> file extension automatically install the skin, instead of having to
> download and copy into the appropriate directory.

The JEP did mention using .zip files, which is an okay example, but it
probably doesn't mean much for Macintosh users.

Java Archive Files (.jar files) are essentially just zipped files that
contain resources for a Java program (class files, image files).  What if
we extended that idea and create a file resource extension for Jabber that
refers to a compressed archive file of resources, including one metafile
describing what the files are.

This could be useful for emoticons, avator images, sound files,
message transcripts, code extensions, skins, or whatever.