[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Wed Jul 17 18:44:09 UTC 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Jim Ray wrote:

> > A few quick questions:
> > -  Why only support PNG?  Is there a _serious_ reason for this?  What
> > about MNG?  JPG?  GIF?  etc.
>
> I agree here.  Why not support gif, jpg, and svg?  Actually, with SVG
> you could have one document that defines all the images.  At least go
> ahead and define the SVG stuff, so we don't have to revisit this at a
> later time when SVG support is available.  And I don't agree with the
> statement that SVG has poor support on most platforms.  SVG has poor
> support on some platforms is a true statement. You may have to do some
> research but it's there.  I could list out all the libraries to make my
> point more clear but that would take too much time.

I think the suggestion of PNG in the JEP wasn't meant to exclude other
formats, but it was recommended as a practical solution for developers.
PNG is one of the newest bitmaped grahics formats out there, and it's
an open non-patented standard format.  A lot of developers want to adopt
PNG because of the whole Unisys/GIF license fiasco.

On the other hand SVG support would be great, and so would MNG.

If it turns out a user has multiple options for emoticon formats, the spec
for the icondef.xml file should probably be extended like so it can handle
multiple formats:

<icon>
    <text>:)</text>
    <alt>:-)</alt>
    <graphic type="image/png">happy.png</graphic>
    <graphic type="image/x-svg">happy.xvg</graphic>
    <sound>choir.wav</sound>
</icon>

Then Jabber clients can choose the best format possible, and use the
appropriate images.

On a side-note, why limit sound choices to WAV files??

Christopher Josephes    | http://www.visi.com/~cpj1
cpj1 at visi.com           |