[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Sebastiaan 'CBAS' Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Wed Jul 17 19:42:15 UTC 2002

(inline comments)

Jim Ray wrote:

> My first comment is that  a complete list of emoticons/genicons should
> be agreed upon.  That way the themes all implement the same things.
> This would eliminate having to rank icon sets.

I'm not sure that's necessary (let alone a Good Thing) ... imagine an IM
client that has it's default set of smileys/frowneys/etc.  Now imagine
the user downloading/installing an addon icon-pack ... for example a
bunch of animal icons.  The animal icons needn't include smiley faces.
 And there will always be creative individuals who will come up with
extra emotions or items they want an icon for, so why limit them?  I
think the iconset ranking system is a pretty good idea ... but that's
just my opinion  ; - )

>> -  How does one client retrieve the iconset that is being used by
>> another person?  Or should someone's own iconset be used even to
>> display icons in incoming messages?  (does that sentence make sence?
>> ;-) )
>

> I think what the author is proposing is that clients support the file
> structure and icondef.xml file.  These would be installed from the web
> somewhere.

My question was more about how does my client show other clients which
iconset(s) I'm using, and possibly how can the other client obtain that
set.  Because people _expect_ their correspondents to see the identical
icons they are seeing.  (After all, if they see the same text, font and
color with XHTML, why wouldn't they see the same emoticons?)

I hope this makes sense now. bye,
Sebastiaan