[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Thu Jul 18 09:19:10 UTC 2002

> Is this JEP a serious proposal or a quick writeup of ideas?
> Section 2, Requirements: "The convention must be a "here and now"
> solution, relying only on what the Jabber protocol currently has."
> Does this mean the specification will change or is it waiting to be
> voted on by the foundation/council/whatever?
>
> A few quick questions:
>  -  Why only support PNG?  Is there a _serious_ reason for this?  What
> about MNG?  JPG?  GIF?  etc.

Is there any point using JPEG compression on something that small?  Either
way, if we are going to start supporting proprietary/patented formats, then
I put my vote in for .ico format...since it can contain different versions
of the same icon at different resolutions and colour depths.

>  -  How does one client retrieve the iconset that is being used by
> another person?  Or should someone's own iconset be used even to display
> icons in incoming messages?  (does that sentence make sence? ;-) )

Iconsets are specific to your client.  They are not specific to a particular
message.  They will (probably) be displayed differently at the recievers end
than they were at the senders end.

>  -  Where are the example icon sets?

You offering to make one?  :-)

Michael.