[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Thu Jul 18 15:45:15 UTC 2002

On 7/17/02 7:38 PM, "Adam Theo" <theo at theoretic.com> wrote:

> Iain Shigeoka wrote:
>> Yes, since Jabber is fully committed to XML it makes sense to support
>> SVG.  Even on platforms where SVG is not supported there are free tools
>> available for converting SVG to raster formats (Batik from Apache for
>> example).  I'd put my vote in for making the standard SVG and letting
>> implementations either find an SVG renderer or SVG to raster filter.
>
> I chose PNG in the JEP because it was the only open and widely supported
> graphic format that I knew of. Now that SVG seems to be widely supported
> too (I'd like to make sure of this, though. Anyone have some info or
> links for me?), I'm thinking about using that instead (or should SVG be
> in addition to PNG?).

Start at www.w3c.org and go to the SVG section.  One of the main sub-pages
is "implementations" which lists many libraries, browsers, and content
editors.  The list is a bit old so there actually should be more
implementations out now than when the list was put together.

SVG being vector rather than raster based allows scaling, provides for
effects, animation, and can be a lot more space efficient than raster
formats (especially when compressed).  Simple shapes like smileys are
trivial in SVG (3 circles and an arc) and SVG images can include embedded
raster images if you need to work with them.

A minimal SVG implementation can treat svg like a bitmap by rendering it to
one (via a gateway service if you're using a really constrained device like
a mobile phone), or use it as a scalable vector image it renders at the
appropriate scale when needed.  Advanced implementations can make SVG work
like Macromedia Flash complete with animations, actions, etc which can lead
to some really cool client behaviors...

Coming from an engineering background, one of the things I really like about
SVG is that MathML can be transformed into SVG easily making the exchange
(MathML), display (SVG) and collaborative editing (MathML) of print quality
mathematical formulae possible.  (applications like Mathematica are using
MathML as a common document exchange format).  I've also noticed that
several UML programs are starting to export UML diagrams as SVG.

-iain