[standards-jig] Serious Issues with JEP 0024

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Thu Jul 18 19:40:57 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:57:12PM -0400, Julian Missig wrote:
> I'll have to pipe in here and say I agree with theo. I would definitely
> like to see a way for pub/sub to work with <message> *and* <iq>. I

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I've already been experimenting
with this. Also, I forgot to mention, I've also been experimenting
with an extra attribute on the <subscribe/> tag - resource. That is,
to allow the client to subscribe to something and say "but send the
pushes to me at *this* resource). THe immediate upshot of this is that
I could use a separate 'subscriber' client to subscribe on behalf of
my other 'receiver' client(s).

> really don't know the details on the server level, but it definitely
> seems nasty to me to be adding the routing (pub/sub) data within the
> message, but I don't think we have a better choice right now, do we? I
> don't know. I know I'd like to see <message> supported, but I also
> recognize how nasty it is to have routing data hidden down that deep in
> the message... servers shouldn't have to dig in to route :(

Ok, just to clear up some potential confusion (probably on my part
only), are you thinking of supporting <message/> from end-to-end, or
just for the leg between pubsub component and subscriber?

dj