[standards-jig] pub-sub subscriptions (JEP-0036)

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Thu Jul 18 19:59:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:52:19PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I've just published a JEP that outlines the results of our discussions in
> Munich about pub-sub. It's still preliminary pending some feedback from
> pgmillard but I figured I'd let you know the JEP exists:

I know it's pending more feedback, but I thought I'd comment on the
content (while I'm in an email flush)

"2.Narrative..."

Pubsub is more than event notification. Event notification is event
notification :-) Pubsub is event notification plus optionally carrying
data payloads.

"We define a topic..."

If this is the same thing as what is defined in 0024 as a publish namespace,
then this is not what I think a topic is. A topic doesn't implicitly or
explicitly define or describe any relationship between subscriber and
publisher. It's just an identification of the subject of publication.

"Topic ID is simply a string.."

Ok with that :-)

"Unique within the context of a specific pubsub domain (e.g.
pubsub.jabber.org)"

By pubsub domain, do you mean the pubsub component domain, or the publisher
domain. I would tend to think that it makes sense to be unique within the
latter, rather than the former....(?)

Ok, that's it for now. Thanks for putting this together, chaps.

dj