[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Fri Jul 19 16:37:43 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Sebastiaan 'CBAS' Deckers wrote:
> I'm also in favour of leaving it up to the developer to choose a
> dataformat for icons.  The multiple <graphics> tags are a great idea.

If we were to do this, I would push to add an attribute to the <graphic>
of type, where the MIME type could be specified. This would save
developers from having to read the CDATA from every graphic tag, and
compare the extension on the file to see if they are able to display that
specific graphic.

> For those interested, I created a few sample packages, available at:
> http://rhymbox.com/JEP-0038-Jabber_Icons
> Adam Theo helped with some changes to the icondef.xml: no more <alt>
> tags but multiple <text> tags, file begins with <?xml...>
> I'm not an XML expert so if someone could check those files and tell me
> if they're ok, I'd appreciate it!

If the spec is revised to remove the <alt> tags, then we do need another
way to specify in the XML document what should be the "default" text
version of the icon, and what will be sent out by the client.

At least, that's my feeling.

bs.