[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Fri Jul 19 16:17:57 UTC 2002

On 7/18/02 11:21 AM, "jpobst" <jpobst at utk.edu> wrote:

> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the vast majority of win32 clients
> use a RichTextBox to display chat messages, and I can't really think of any
> way to make them support SVG, short of having to find an external library to
> just change them back into a supported format which loses all the SVG benefits
> and is a hassle.  While I agree you should only allow one format so that users
> don't have to worry about which version they need for their clients, I'm
> afraid there will be a lot less clients implementing this if its SVG.
>
> Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there are two concerns, the standard and implementations of the
standard.  Ideally I think the standard should specify SVG as an interchange
format (how I send an icon between apps in a neutral manner and format for
the standard images that should be used by default).  SVG's vector nature
will allow one SVG icon to be exchanged, yet displayed on any size area with
good results.  This is opposed to defining say an icon standard, with
different sized icons for display in a list (15x15), display in a tree
(20x20), display large in an icon view (40x40), etc.

Effects (drop shadow, transparency, etc) and animations (e.g. Flash) can
also be applied to an SVG icon for use in other aspects of Jabber (avatars,
white boarding, collaborative diagramming, etc)

SVG can also be print ready if we ever get to the point where Jabber is used
for documents that will eventually be printed.  That can hardly be said for
any other graphics format other than say PS, AI, etc.

Now implementations may find it inconvenient to deal with SVG "raw".  As you
mention, it is not widely supported outside of Java (Batik) in the standard
components that are easily used and integrated (well, actually if you can
embed Adobe's SVG plug-in on Windows/Mac you're set...).

However, I don't think this should be a major issue.  First, if you really
want to handle SVG you can, there are libraries to do it pretty much
everywhere.  SVG is also pretty much the established future web graphics
format so if you can't today you will tomorrow.

I'd suggest however that we also make an SVG to graphicsX conversion service
as part of the standard or a reference to a separate standard for it.  This
can be a simple IQ mini-protocol that lets you send an SVG document to the
service, and it will return a raster rendering of it in the requested format
at a requested resolution and color depth.

This allows the server to provide any other formats it considers necessary
(PNG, JPG, GIF, ICO, etc).  Batik lets you do this really easily in Java so
I don't think this will be hard to implement on the server side.

-iain