[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Iain Shigeoka iain.shigeoka at messaginglogic.com
Fri Jul 19 16:25:51 UTC 2002

On 7/19/02 7:37 AM, "Michael Brown" <michael at aurora.gen.nz> wrote:

>> Execellent. I just took a look, and am amazed at how quickly SVG support
>> has popped up. Why, it seems like only 2 years ago the spec was being
>> made in the first place...
>>
>> OK, I've now decided (unless there is great opposition to it) that SVG
>> will replace PNG in the JEP as the only accepted image format. Not only
>> will SVG be open and widely supported, but also allows for slick
>> animations like Flash.
>
> Nooo...You have to provide at least one format that people have editors for.
> PNG was marginal in the first place.  SVG is much worse in this respect.
> For Yabber I am still toying with the idea of supporting .ico files for this
> reason.

People who make standard emoticons for exchange should have access to SVG
tools and I believe they already do.  Remember that you can embed raster
images (png, gif, etc) into an SVG so you could theoretically still make old
raster images, then just pop it into a simple SVG wrapper (I think you could
code that up pretty easily in a few lines of Perl).

All of the latest vector illustration packages include SVG format support
from WebDraw (Jasc) to the big guns like Illustrator (Adobe), CorelDraw, and
Freehand (macromedia).  Mayura Draw is available for $30 and produces
excellent (albiet simple) SVG.  There are several editors on sourceforge if
you prefer free (a Win32 one called beez lets you create SVG animations and
seems at least moderately useable).

So I'd tentatively say this is a non-issue except for people that have to
have the tool come with the OS... ;)

-iain