[standards-jig] Serious Issues with JEP 0024

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Fri Jul 19 19:17:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 12:38:46AM -0400, Adam Theo wrote:

> Now, here's an idea on how to allow publishers to publish *any* packet
> (message or iq) to their subscriber base. Packet Headers. I've
> considered Packet Headers as a Core Tool Protocol

I'm afraid personally I think this complicates things too much. Just
my opinion, though. 0024 has been working well in practice for me for
a while now (and I can't speak for anyone else, so I won't).

> > Ok, just to clear up some potential confusion (probably on my part
> > only), are you thinking of supporting <message/> from end-to-end, or
> > just for the leg between pubsub component and subscriber?
>
> I personally was thinking end-to-end. That is, allot the publisher to
> write up a <message> packet, send it off to the pubsub component
> addressed to the particulat namespace/topicID (using Packet Headers),
> and have that <message> more or less echo'ed/broadcasted to the subscribers.

This is a rather different approach to the current pubsub proposal. I
think the best thing to do would be perhaps write up your ideas as a
separate JEP. It's too different (IMHO) from 0024 to be wedged in.

dj