[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Fri Jul 19 19:24:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Adam Theo wrote:

> Iain, I have heard that SVG is pretty verbose and overkill for small
> icon-sized graphics, unless you really want the transparency and
> animation features. Is this true? what are file size comparisons
> (uncompressed) between rastor formats like PNG, JPG, and GIF; and the
> vector format of SVG? I think this will be the deciding issue for me.

I think an interesting analogy to this is the transition from bitmaped
fonts in GUIs to vector based fonts (like Postscript, which has been
around forever, and TrueType).  Developers eventually accepted the fonts,
and end-users found them much easier to work with for display and desktop
publishing.

Yes, file size can be an issue, but I don't think it should be a deciding
factor when it comes to deciding which formats to accept.  When someone
sends me a set of emoticons I should be able to have the following
choices:

1. Download the entire set of emoticons, or only the ones I need.

2. Download only the emoticons that my Jabber client can support.  I like
PNG and SVG, and I encourage their use, but I realize that not every
platform has libraries to support them, like cell phones or the Commodora
Amiga (I'll probably get flamed for that one).

3. Refuse the transfer altogether.  I may want to just use my own
smiley face graphic to express happiness, and why should it matter for the
other end user if I am the only one that can see it?