[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Chris Josephes cpj1 at isis.visi.com
Fri Jul 19 19:31:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Iain Shigeoka wrote:

> tools and I believe they already do.  Remember that you can embed raster
> images (png, gif, etc) into an SVG so you could theoretically still make old
> raster images, then just pop it into a simple SVG wrapper (I think you could
> code that up pretty easily in a few lines of Perl).

I don't know the SVG spec offhand, so I don't know how it would handle the
internal wrapping of raster images.  But I'm willing to guess that it
would simply be base64 encoding of the binary file within XML tags, since
SVG is a text based format.

This would be REALLY bad for file size.  It'll make your raster images
around 30% larger than they would have been if they were sent in binary
format.