[standards-jig] Jabber Icons (JEP-0038)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Sat Jul 20 15:54:09 UTC 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Michael Brown wrote:
> I can't see why you would want to send icons between clients.  I know it
> won't be supported in my client.  It just seems to be p0rn spammers heaven.
> If you want to be able to send images in Jabber messages I imagine there are
> better ways to do that.  This isn't what this JEP is about.  I think the
> pros & cons of this has been covered (to death) on the JDEV list.  Let's
> just focus on the JEP as it stands.

You make it sound like it wouldn't be optional. Maybe the more accurate
wording would be, my client could request an iconset from your client. I
think that this would be useful. Some people may want to trade iconsets,
and it would (of course) be a voluntary process -- nobody could force an
iconset on you, unless you had a poorly designed client that allowed that
to happen.

This is really outside the range of this discussion, but I think the
possibility exists.

bs.

OT- Please forgive me Craig, I just can't help myself.