[standards-jig] Re: [JDEV] Presence indicator for web page

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Mon Jul 22 18:49:25 UTC 2002

(following up to standards-jig)

> This sounds really really useful.  I think there is a requirement for this
> to be as standardised as possible, as the easier we make the life of web
> developers, the more likely we are to see Jabber integration in websites -
> which can only be good for us.
>
> Ideally I would like to see this become a (semi-)standard part of the Jabber
> server.  There should be a default agent - say 'webpresence.myserver.com' -
> that users could register with that could handle this type of stuff
> (strictly opt-in of course).  Possibly making status messages etc available
> into be included in html pages in addition to an image.

Agreed :)

> Is there any chance of getting a JEP together for this?  I'm happy to draft
> up a list of requirements, but would need some help with the technical
> details or implementation aspect etc.

It's a pretty large undertaking since there are so many facets to web
integration, and IMHO the code needs some more attention and testing
first, but there's no reason a JEP couldn't be put together and just
updated as things evolve. If you want to start drafting it, I can help
check it over to make sure it jives with what wcs already does, and then
run it through standards-jig for more input.

Jer