[standards-jig] Re: [JDEV] DSPS

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Jul 24 14:39:40 UTC 2002

Yes, I too do not see the point in a SOCKS JEP, but I think what would be
better is to define a proper standard filetranfer negotiation protocol,
rather than extending DSPS to provide it since it is not really appropriate,
DSPS is better as an alternate connection negotiation extra to a proper
filetransfer negotiation protocol,

This protocol would be to do the following.

Tell the receiver the following things about the file to be transferred:
Filename
Filesize
Hash (to verify the file is the same as the original file when downloaded,
useful for cases where file is uploaded to a webserver to check for
tampering)
Description
(Plus other info which others might think of)

Also possibly used to state the available transfer mechanisms be it (which
disco could be used for when its finalised):
HTTP server download
HTTP local download (an HTTP server running in the client) (could use SOCKS
transparently)
Direct stream connections (could use SOCKS transparently)
DSPS
PASS

This is my input, im not against DSPS but it does issues.

Richard