[standards-jig] Hidding groups in Jabber clients

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed Jul 31 14:34:11 UTC 2002

Jean-Louis -

[Suggestions about doing hidden groups snipped]

In my opinion, neither of these is a good solution :) Let me explain. The
open source jabber server is most likely to store extra information that you
send in with the roster, but this will not always work. (Specially when
working with other xdb backends which doen't just store everything in a flat
file, e.g. xdb_sql, etc..). What you should be doing is storing this info
into the jabber:iq:private namespace using some namespace. For my new client
Exodus, I've started using "storage:imprefs" to store client side info... it
would be handy to standardize these types of client modifications so that
everyone could talk advantage. Right now, I'm using this namespace to store
bookmarks (the Rival client uses this same XML for bookmarks as well), as
well as collapsed groups in the roster view.

I would suggest using this same namespace to store a list of "hidden"
groups.

Exodus snags the prefs from the server using:

<iq id="jcl_4" type="get"><query xmlns="jabber:iq:private"><storage
xmlns="storage:imprefs"/></query></iq>

<iq from='pgm-foo at jabber.org/Exodus' id='jcl_4' type='result'><query
xmlns='jabber:iq:private'><storage xmlns='storage:bookmarks'><conference
jid='jdev at conference.jabber.org'