[standards-jig] JEP-0029 case sensitivity

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Thu Jun 6 05:48:21 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 09:25:13PM -0400, Mike Lin wrote:
> Anyway, obviously having your JID be the same as your e-mail address is
> just a convenience, but I think it is kind of neat. Does anyone else
> know more about when e-mail addresses are case sensitive (it seems this
> is not always so)? I think this is a question worth investigating.

E-mail addresses are case sensitive if you use a server that forces it.
All clients HAVE TO think that ALL e-mail addresses are case sensitive.

fox example, we use LDAP for some of our aliases, there is no way for
telling the LDAP Server to go in to case sensitive mode, so all of those
aliases are case insensitive.

it's a matter of server implementation, there is no standard for it, and
it's not a good policy to use case insensitive e-mail addresses (shame
on us =)

i hope that clears things up a bit for you.

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Is it still a bug, if we have learned to live with it? ]-