[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Mar 1 00:38:39 UTC 2002

> I believe pgm's case
> here is that we shouldn't have to define this for encryption, then keep
> redefining it for all future things to come down the pipe.

This is precisely the case :) Thanx dave.

There is a fundamental difference for entities to find out if one another
support a basic feature: do you support msg encryption? What about file
transfers? What about avatars? and actually finding out the preferred
options for each of those options.

A pervasive mentality in Jabber seems to be to overload functionality and
namespaces whenever possible to. I still haven't figured this out :)
EXPLICIT functions (and their corresponding protocol elements) make the
protocol much easier to understand, much more modular, and in the end, much
easier to program components + clients for.

My $0.02.

Peter M.