[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Fri Mar 1 22:25:26 UTC 2002

Iain Shigeoka wrote:

>On 3/1/02 11:13 AM, "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>
>>>Could we just slap JEP0020 within <x> and make it work?
>>>
>>I disagree. The request and response of feature negotiation seems like a
>>natural use of IQ, not <x/> elements sent in a message or presence.
>>

>I was thinking <x> within <iq> (in particular browse).

In this case, we need a way of choosing what type of information we want
returned via this grand unified namespace known as browse. We already
need it somewhat, but if even more functionality is going to be rolled
into browse, we desparately need it.

(And yes - I still really dislike browse, because it already contains so
much functionality, but exposed in a very specialized way.)
-David Waite