[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

Dave Smith dizzyd at dizzyd.com
Sat Mar 2 19:11:14 UTC 2002

The whole point of the negotiation framework is not discovery, but
handshaking. The idea is to make it simple and easy for one entity to
provide another with a list of suitable features which can be used for
future exchange semantics (e.g. Key Exchange). That's it.

There are at least two areas where semantics have to be negotiated: key
exchange (as noted above) and cipher selection. In the future,  there will
probably be other interesting uses of negotiation: file exchange methods
(p2p, pass, etc), sub-protocol version selection (i.e. If we supported
multiple types of RPC semantics,  group chat protocol selection (this would
actually be useful now). These other alternatives, no matter how contrived,
at least demonstrate that this isn't a one time fix. It's something usable
for more than just security related stuff.

If we do not agree upon a negotiation framework,  we will be forcing the
creation of many, specialized negotiation protocols for each extension that
requires negotiation capabilities.

Diz