[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

Iain Shigeoka iainshigeoka at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 17:34:37 UTC 2002

On 3/2/02 9:06 PM, "Thomas Muldowney" <temas at box5.net> wrote:

> users if they deem necessary".  I'm also wondering if there is ever a
> case where you would need to do multiple exchanges?  To take that a step
> further, would you ever need to know the previously selected data?  I

Yes, multiple exchanges are quite possible.  Consider SASL, you negotiate
authentication/security method, authenticate, then optionally establish a
TLS (SSL) session as the authenticated entity.  Unfortunately authentication
and feature negotiation necessarily occur in the clear so you will often
re-conduct feature negotiation once you have secured your line.

-iain