[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Mon Mar 4 18:17:59 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:30:17AM -0800, Iain Shigeoka wrote:

> > Have you ever looked at UDDI? You are aware one of Jabber's goals is
> > simplicity, right? Again, I ask if you've ever looked at UDDI :)
>
> :)  Yup.  But I'm thinking that there are a lot of existing libraries for
> UDDI... So it may be complex if you're writing everything from scratch, but
> simple if you use existing tools.  The same complexity argument could be

I read Julian's point not as one against how complex it is to program,
rather how complex it becomes to understand from a human readable POV.
Indeed, this point is being made of XQuery in the jabber:iq:rdbm thread
in this same list.

> If Jabber uses UDDI, we can very easily plug into existing UDDI directories,
> access web services via SOAP, etc, etc.  If we have our own Jabber lookup,
> Jabber negotiation protocols, Jabber database access, etc we will continue
> to exclude ourselves from the vibrant XML community out there.

You make some valid points, but as someone's eventually going to point
out (and I know this isn't _specifically_ about UDDI), UDDI is not yet
an open standard, AFAIK.

;-)

dj