[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0020: Client Feature Negotiation

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Mon Mar 4 19:36:08 UTC 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:15:36AM -0800, Iain Shigeoka wrote:
> > I read Julian's point not as one against how complex it is to program,
> > rather how complex it becomes to understand from a human readable POV.
>
> Aren't they one and the same (programmability and readability)?  If you
> aren't a programmer should you really be trying to read the raw XML?  I am

This is an interesting point, the sort that is best discussed in a pub :-)

But (semi-)seriously, I don't personally think it's as black and white
as programmer/non-programmer. I don't consider myself a hardcore programmer
but always try to read debug output, logs, payloads, data traffic, and so
on. Furthermore, I think it's less of a "do you understand (the implications
of) what you're looking at" and more of a "can you read this without going
cross-eyed?".

Regular Jabber-XML is very easy on the eye. So is XML-RPC, to take a
random example. Something like WDSL is not. Regardless of whether one
is a programmer or not.

I used to read snapdumps from MVS batch jobs in a previous life (era?).
Didn't make me any more or any less a programmer.

dj
scripter, integrator, drunk.