[standards-jig] [jepnews] JEP-0021: Jabber Event Notification Service

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Tue Mar 5 21:39:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 16:14, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Yeah, the only difference is that I think if we use URIs, it should
> > contain a shortened name for the JEP, rather than JEP-0021 :)
>
> Well, it would be xmlns='http://www.jabber.org/jeps/0021/', that doesn't
> seem so bad to me. (We'd just have to create a dummy index.html for each
> directory or let the directory be readable.)

No, I'm sorry, but that's bad.

If I'm inspecting the XML or working on it, I don't just want to
distinguish the namespaces by number. I'm really not a fan of that,
efficient as it may be.

Imagine looking through code and seeing an if/else if block based on
xmlns which has:
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/0021/
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/0274/
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/0985/
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/1038/
http://www.jabber.org/jeps/3058/

That's just ugly. I like being able to tell the difference between
x:event and x:delay by name. (and actually knowing what they're for)

Julian
email: julian at jabber.org
jabber:julian at jabber.org