[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Wed Mar 6 21:00:41 UTC 2002

Hi all

well, I read through the IETF proposal with a view to extracting extra
bits (in addition to the namespace-orientated list at
http://www.pipetree.com/jabber/sc-jig/ns-usage.html) which seemed to
characterise the essence of what Jabber is, and more specifically, what
a Jabber server (I'm concentrating on server implementations, here) needs
to implement to be a Jabber server.

I'll just jot down the notes I made, here:

- must the server support TCP connections (as opposed to other network
  type connections)? (I think the answer may be obvious but the question
  needs to be asked)

- it is fundamental that the JID address format be supported and honoured

- the part providing user session services must employ the spoof-
  prevention service of stamping jabber:client incoming packets

- DNS SRV record lookup must be supported for s2s connections

- server should ignore PIs, comments, pre-defined entities, etc

- UTF8?

- how about ignoring any unknown (non iq, message, presence, or route)
  packets?

- don't break on unknown extensions - just ignore

- presence management (availability tracker, diffusion, invisibility, etc)
  (I'm including these, as they're basic JSM features, but not represented
  by a namespace (i.e. 'presence management' isn't really in the other list)

- routing : resource-based matching

- SSL connection support?

dj

-