[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Wed Mar 6 21:04:54 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 16:00, DJ Adams wrote:
> Hi all
>
> well, I read through the IETF proposal with a view to extracting extra
> bits (in addition to the namespace-orientated list at
> http://www.pipetree.com/jabber/sc-jig/ns-usage.html) which seemed to
> characterise the essence of what Jabber is, and more specifically, what
> a Jabber server (I'm concentrating on server implementations, here) needs
> to implement to be a Jabber server.
>
> I'll just jot down the notes I made, here:
>
> - must the server support TCP connections (as opposed to other network
>   type connections)? (I think the answer may be obvious but the question
>   needs to be asked)

In *current* Jabber, I think to brand something compliant we should say
yes... but this is a point which may change.

> - it is fundamental that the JID address format be supported and honoured

Yes. JabberIDs are a fundamental part of Jabber.

> - the part providing user session services must employ the spoof-
>   prevention service of stamping jabber:client incoming packets
>
> - DNS SRV record lookup must be supported for s2s connections
>
> - server should ignore PIs, comments, pre-defined entities, etc
>
> - UTF8?

Definitely.

> - how about ignoring any unknown (non iq, message, presence, or route)
>   packets?

This is a default action of anything which is XML-compliant (so
compliance with the XML specification is required)

> - don't break on unknown extensions - just ignore

Again, XML compliance.

> - presence management (availability tracker, diffusion, invisibility, etc)
>   (I'm including these, as they're basic JSM features, but not represented
>   by a namespace (i.e. 'presence management' isn't really in the other list)
>
> - routing : resource-based matching
>
> - SSL connection support?

No.

Not sure about the rest ;)