[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Dave Smith dizzyd at dizzyd.com
Wed Mar 6 23:36:02 UTC 2002

On 3/6/02 2:00 PM, "DJ Adams" <dj.adams at pobox.com> wrote:

> - must the server support TCP connections (as opposed to other network
> type connections)? (I think the answer may be obvious but the question
> needs to be asked)

No. But, if interoperability is a goal, then Yes. :) At least, I think.. :)

> - it is fundamental that the JID address format be supported and honoured

Yes.

> - the part providing user session services must employ the spoof-
> prevention service of stamping jabber:client incoming packets

Yeah..I guess. That's more of an architectural decisions in the open-source
server tho.

> - DNS SRV record lookup must be supported for s2s connections

Yes.

> - server should ignore PIs, comments, pre-defined entities, etc
> - UTF8?

Yes and yes.

> - how about ignoring any unknown (non iq, message, presence, or route)
> packets?

I think it's possible to have a Jabber server which is very strict -- so I
would say that it's the implementers choice over how to handle unknown
messages.

> - don't break on unknown extensions - just ignore

See above.

> - presence management (availability tracker, diffusion, invisibility, etc)
> (I'm including these, as they're basic JSM features, but not represented
> by a namespace (i.e. 'presence management' isn't really in the other list)

This is Jabber IM functionality -- it's debatable as to whether Jabber is
"Jabber" without it. I can definitely imagine a jabberd with just a presence
engine sitting on it -- and I would still say it's "Jabber".

> - routing : resource-based matching

Huh?

> - SSL connection support?

No.