[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Dave dave at dave.tj
Thu Mar 7 01:23:00 UTC 2002

Reply inline:

 - Dave

Shawn Wilton wrote:

> How is ssl only experimental?  I've been using it for months.  As for
> definition, it's a difference between connections.  There's no definition
> needed.
Just because you've been using something for months, that doesn't mean
it has to be required for our standard :-(

> Instead of putting the bar as low as possible it has to be raised to some
> degree.  Otherwise jabber is just a carbon copy of everything else out
> there.
The bar shouldn't be any higher than necessary to fulfill Jabber's
purpose: Jabber is _not_ intended to be the killer app to end all killer
apps, incorperating everything but emacs; it's intended to be the killer
protocol for IM.  Loading it up with unnecessary fat will just make our
killer protocol more and more bloated :-(