[standards-jig] Administration Namespace/specs

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Thu Mar 7 07:49:03 UTC 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:01:18PM -0500, Casey Crabb wrote:
> There has been alot of noise in the past about making Jabber more
> administratable. I'm trying to gather a list of tasks an administrator
> of a jabber server would be likely to want to do. This is the list
> that I have come up with, I imagine more things will be added and some
> removed.

In addition to the list you gave, I'd suggest a server mode mechanism.
I've experimented with this before, with some really horrid hacks; but
I can see the requirement to be able to run the server in 'admin' mode
as opposed to 'standard' mode (the latter being the default now). Many
systems offer the ability to be started up with a restriction on _who_
can log on; the concept of 'admin users only' in a configuration list
with a switch, would be interesting.

The purpose, of course, would be to enable administrators to carry out
maintenance tasks (as yet undefined).

There are of course ways to 'simulate' this sort of thing, such as running
the c2s on an otherwise-blocked port, or listening only on 127.0.0.1,
and so on, but these sorts of things require fiddling about, which is not
what an admin wants to have to do.

just 2p

dj