[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Fabrice DESRE fabrice.desre at francetelecom.com
Thu Mar 7 08:42:18 UTC 2002

Julian Missig wrote:

>  > - the part providing user session services must employ the spoof-
>  >   prevention service of stamping jabber:client incoming packets
>  >
>  > - DNS SRV record lookup must be supported for s2s connections
>  >
>  > - server should ignore PIs, comments, pre-defined entities, etc
>  >
>  > - UTF8?
>
> Definitely.

  I agree that we should ignore PIs, but I why ignore pre-defined
entities (at least from the internal subset) ?
The same applies to encoding support : why prevent the support of
different encodings ? Of course every server will support UTF8, since it
is an XML compliance requirement.

>  >
>  > - how about ignoring any unknown (non iq, message, presence, or route)
>  >   packets?
>
> This is a default action of anything which is XML-compliant (so
> compliance with the XML specification is required)
>
>  >
>  > - don't break on unknown extensions - just ignore
>
> Again, XML compliance.

  I disagree here. XML compliance doesn't disallow an application to stop
processing when the document is invalid. It is an application defined
behaviour.
XML compliance just forbid the processing of a document that is not well
formed.

	Fabrice

--
Fabrice Desre - France Telecom R&D/DTL/TAL
Tel: +(33) 2 96 05 31 43