[standards-jig] Essence of Jabber

Fabrice DESRE fabrice.desre at francetelecom.com
Thu Mar 7 12:16:42 UTC 2002

Julian Missig wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 03:42, Fabrice DESRE wrote:
>  > Julian Missig wrote:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > - don't break on unknown extensions - just ignore
>  > >
>  > > Again, XML compliance.
>  >
>  >   I disagree here. XML compliance doesn't disallow an application to
> stop
>  > processing when the document is invalid. It is an application defined
>  > behaviour.
>  > XML compliance just forbid the processing of a document that is not well
>  > formed.
>  >

> Huh? Not breaking on unknown attributes or unknown elements is a part of
> XML, especially when we are not checking for validity, only
> well-formedness.

  That's what i'm saying... XML compliance only deals with the syntactic
level of the stream (the raw markup), not with the semantic of the
protocol. So saying that "XML compliance tells to ignore unknown
attributes or elements" is not correct. It is an application design choice.

	Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desre - France Telecom R&D/DTL/TAL
Tel: +(33) 2 96 05 31 43