[standards-jig] Administration Namespace/specs

philippe.raxhon at mrlinternational.com philippe.raxhon at mrlinternational.com
Thu Mar 7 15:33:53 UTC 2002

Just a question?

How difficult is it to create a component for that? Is it even suitable?

BTW, DJ, your speech at the Fosdem was great.

Philippe Raxhon
raxhonp at iname.com

DJ Adams wrote:
     On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:01:18PM -0500, Casey Crabb wrote:
          There has been alot of noise in the past about making Jabber more
          administratable. I'm trying to gather a list of tasks an
          administrator
          of a jabber server would be likely to want to do. This is the
          list
          that I have come up with, I imagine more things will be added and
          some
          removed.

     In addition to the list you gave, I'd suggest a server mode mechanism.
     I've experimented with this before, with some really horrid hacks; but
     I can see the requirement to be able to run the server in 'admin' mode
     as opposed to 'standard' mode (the latter being the default now). Many
     systems offer the ability to be started up with a restriction on _who_
     can log on; the concept of 'admin users only' in a configuration list
     with a switch, would be interesting.

     The purpose, of course, would be to enable administrators to carry out
     maintenance tasks (as yet undefined).

     There are of course ways to 'simulate' this sort of thing, such as
     running
     the c2s on an otherwise-blocked port, or listening only on 127.0.0.1,
     and so on, but these sorts of things require fiddling about, which is
     not
     what an admin wants to have to do.

     just 2p

     dj